Breast Augmentation Questions
Breast augmentation may not be a one time surgery. You are likely to need additional breast augmentation procedures and surgeon visits over the course of your life. Here are some answers to questions about breast augmentation.
- Saline filled breast implants are not considered lifetime devices. You will likely under go breast implant removal with or without breast augmentation over the course of your life.
- Many of the changes to your breast following breast augmentation are irreversible (cannot be undone). If you later choose to have your saline breast implant(s) removed, you may experience unacceptable dimpling, puckering, wrinkling, or other cosmetic changes of the breast.
- Breast augmentation may affect your ability to produce milk for breast feeding. The ability to successfully breast feed varies for all women with or without breast implants. However, you may be at higher risk of unsuccessful breast feeding following breast implantation. In particular, a perioreolar incision site may significantly reduce the ability to successfully breast feed. Also, breast augmentation will not prevent your breast from sagging after pregnancy.
- With saline breast implants, routine screening mammography will be more difficult, and you will need to have additional views, which means more time and radiation.
- For patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery either as a cosmetic or a reconstructive procedure, health insurance premiums may increase, coverage may be dropped, and/or future coverage may be denied.
- Treatment of complications may not be covered as well. You should check with your insurance company regarding these coverage issues.
What Questions Should You Ask Your Plastic Surgeon About A Breast Augmentation Procedure
The following list of questions may help you to remind you of topics to discuss with your plastic surgeon. You may have additional questions as well.
- What are the risks and complications associated with having breast augmentation?
- How many additional operations on my implanted breast(s) can I expect over my lifetime?
- How will my breasts look if I decide to have the saline filled implants removed without replacement?
- What shape, size, surface texturing, incision site, and placement site is recommended for me?
- How will my ability to breast feed be affected?
- How can I expect my breast implants to look over time?
- How can I expect my breast implants to look after pregnancy? After breast feeding?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my breast augmentation?
- What alternate procedures or products are available if I choose not to have breast implants?
- Do you have before and after photos I can look at for each breast augmentation procedure and what results are reasonable for me?
Breast Augmentation – Who Is A Candidate
Breast Implants: Placement and Incision Sites
Breast Implant Warranty
How Will I Feel After Surgery?
Breast Augmentation Correction – Revision
Frequently Asked Questions