Six Reasons Why Some People Do Not Qualify for Liposuction
More often than not, people interested in the liposuction procedure meet criteria to have liposuction on the bodily area of their choice. However, there are times that a plastic surgeon will not perform liposuction on certain individuals. By the same token, other plastic surgeons will perform liposuction on excluded candidates from other plastic surgeons. The reasons for this are diverse, including:
- If you are obese, not all plastic surgeons perform large volume liposuction that may be required for an obese individual.
- If you wish to treat knees, elbows, face and the like, some plastic surgeons may not perform liposuction on very small treatment areas.
- If you do not have firm elastic skin, some plastic surgeons may not recommend liposuction. Loose skin that is liposuction-ed may produce an inadequate result. The result may appearance more loose or irregular in smoothness than before the procedure, depending upon the extent of looseness prior to treatment.
- If you have certain medical conditions or have not ceased certain medications, over-the- counter-drugs and/or supplements, plastic surgeons will not perform the liposuction until you have ceased necessary medications and clearance from a primary care physician is obtained.
- If you have poor skin quality, you may not be a candidate for treatment. Poor skin quality may not allow for the contraction of skin that is necessary following liposuction and may result in body contour irregularities.
- If you have cellulite, you may not be a candidate for liposuction depending upon the extent of cellulite. Cellulite signifies a red flag that contour irregularities may result from liposuction.
Ideally, liposuction is appropriate for people within 15 pounds of normal weight or small areas for people that are obese that would help improve mobility such as the knees. Some plastic surgeons do perform large volume liposuction on obese people which may likely be a credible approach for obese people that do not quality for massive weight loss surgery. The idea behind this credibility is that even low weight loss may motivate an obese person to lose weight, provides for improved mobility and reduces the risk of obesity complications such as knee joint failure from excessive weight. It is important to see a plastic surgeon to identify if you are a candidate for treatment.
Back to List of Articles